Tools: Adobe Photoshop CS4
This is one of the winning loading screen designs I created last year for a Korean MMORPG that I sometimes play. I’ve been meaning to post this for a while, but my other projects got in the way. lol Anyway the purpose of this contest was to create attractive loading screens that advertised the upcoming patch.
This design had… maybe 50-70 layers? I didn’t use masks much, hence the duplicate layers. I’ll explain the steps I went through to create this:
1. Found a random image of the girl (Kano) from the official Korean site
2. Teleported/ran to the map with the background/atmosphere I wanted and took a screenshot with my invisible Wizard HA. That’s why you see the sparkles in the second picture. It’s his staff. A lvl100 staff. It’s weak.
3. I masked out Kano and placed her on the screenshot I took.
4. I used handmade brushes and free use textures to begin creating the ambiance I wanted. I essentially wanted a Harry Potter-like magical feel. This is also when I used a lot of adjustment layers to tweak the lighting just enough to achieve this feel.
5. I created the flying papers/photos manipulation to subtly feature the new characters to be released in the upcoming game patch and emphasize the magical atmosphere I wanted.
6. A lot of pen tool and more sparkles and more textures.
7. Some cheesy verbiage.
I do like how this loading screen came out. I’ll post some other loading screens I made sometime soon.